iDNES.cz, 16 ottobre 2009

« Older   Newer »
Janis_rm
view post Posted on 11/1/2011, 21:23

Grazie a Nougatte, una fan della Repubblica Ceca , che ha tradotto in inglese, per il Jrmfansite, questa intervista tratta da un giornale Ceco :

"I hope I won't be like Henry"

Jonathan Rhys Meyers is just finishing the last episodes of the successful historical drama The Tudors in which he plays Henry VIII.

The Golden Globe winner, actor Jonathan Rhys Meyers, has the reputation of a bad boy, so he's the perfect man to play the part of the excentric Henry VIII in the greatly acclaimed show The Tudors. Regardless, he can't wait to bury Henry. "Historical series fortunately can't run forever," he says contentedly in the exclusive interview for MF DNES that he gave during the shooting of the final season, dressed in armour and wearing a mask of the cruel emperor he refused to put aside.

Why are you so happy to finish the series?
It's a difficult role. Really difficult. I love it, I devoted three years of my life to that part, but I have nothing more to give.

Will you at least miss it?
Yes and no. Imagine playing someone who constantly yells and pushes people around; someone hated by all. It's not a great feeling. I loved being Henry, but it's time to say goodbye before he becomes a complete monster.

I'm sorry, but you have a weird voice.
This "weird" voice, as you put it, that's not me speaking, it's Henry VIII. Particularly it's the aging Henry VIII. If I started to talk like "I do normally" (changes his voice), it'll be difficult to get back into the part. And I can't afford that, I have to be Henry again in ten minutes. So if you don't mind, I'll keep the weird voice.

When you finish the shooting in the evening, do you leave the sets as Henry, or Jonathan?
I live in a small house near the studios, so even when I'm done shooting, I stay in the part. It's more comfortable. Considering that the shooting lasts for 140 days, I cease being Jonathan for 140 days of a year, which is crazy.

Do you at least take off the costume?
Yes, I wouldn't be able to fall asleep in the stuff I'm wearing right now.

Is it uncomfortable?
Does it look comfortable? It's not desinged for conversations, so even sitting here and talking with you is difficult. (smiles tiredly)

I thought your costumes are comfortable. That's what the producers say.
They're comfortable compared to the actual clothes that people wore in the history. This outfit would've probably weighted twenty or thirty kilos back then. But still it's tough on my body which is good because it allows me to feel more like my Henry.

How is he right now?
His leg is basically rotting, so he's not very good; 30 years old with a progressed syphilis, cirrhosis and pretty much overweight. He's ill, so he's obnoxious.

Not a happy living then, I guess...
I've been through a lot when I was younger, so I can imagine what endless physical pain can do to a man. You're only more and more aggressive and mean. The pain can override the brain to such extend that you're unable to think clear. I don't think Henry did certain things because he was cruel, but because he was ill.

You were told to gain weight for the part...
That's fortunately in the costume designer's hands, she made a padded suit for me. But I won't be overly fat, it wouldn't seem natural.

Did Henry change you?
Of course, he did change me a lot. But I can't say how yet. We'll see.

Will you be like him one day?
I hope not. Jesus!

Would you like to meet Henry?
I don't believe in "those were the days" and I'm not sure I would have had the proper social status anyway, so no coming back to history, I would have probably suffered a lot. As for meeting Henry, I might be interested, but something tells me I wouldn't like him very much.

When you joined the show, did you expect the success?
Not at all. Nobody did, they only planned one season. When I signed on the deal, I had no idea what I signed for, I wasn't that interested. It was just money.

What made you change your mind?
Michael Hirst, the screenwriter. While many artists start with drafting a portrait, we started with the whole painting right away. And then there was the challenge of playing someone I didn't resemble physically at all. It confirmed it for me that stereotypes in peoples' minds never die: when people know certain someone's image, they wouldn't let you take it away from them. You can't imagine how many Henry experts showed up! That was one of the reasons I didn't believe in more than two seasons. But we did succeed after all. You know why? Instead of a boring king, we put an attractive, lively man in front of the camera. He didn't even seem like coming from a history.

Why do you think people are fascinated by Henry VIII's life? The Tudors aren't the first piece about him.
Because he beheaded so many women, right? (laughs) I don't know, perhaps it's the faith that came along during his reign and that even now rules the history. He certainly isn't so popular because he was a good politician. Quite on the contrary, he made many strategical mistakes in his life. I wouldn't always agree with him.

You're talking about him like you know him well. Have you studied?
Of course I've read a lot about him, but I don't take it too seriously - it's the winners who write the history, so you never know what the actual truth was. Nobody knows what Henry and Thomas Cromwell actually discussed when the door closed behind them. The truth belongs to the one and only moment and you have to live it, that's the only way of knowing it. And even then the truth you tell me doesn't have to be the real truth; it's only your point of view and that makes a difference.

Now on a lighter note: what about women? You're said to enjoy them just as Henry did.
I do.

That's all? The show is criticised for too much sex. Does the sex wear you out?
I don't think there's more sex on the show than there was in the history. Quite on the contrary. So no, sex on the show doesn't wear me out. (laughs)

Your female co-stars have confessed to be afraid of shooting erotic scenes with you.
Well they have a reason to be.

Excuse me?
Frankly, I have no idea why the girls care about it so much. Actresses probably feel more conscious about their body parts being on camera. Actors don't really care and I don't care at all. But it's true that a perfect body can help an actress to make career, so I understand the struggle.

Was there a woman in Henry's life that he really loved?
Jane Seymour. She was the true love of his life, they had a beautiful relationship. She died because of Henry; he gave her syphilis and she bled out while giving birth. Henry felt immensely guilty; Jane was the woman he wanted more than anybody else.

What's next after The Tudors?
I have an offer, but I haven't decided yet so I won't say anything more.

What do you think of Joss Stone, the singer, who's your fourth wife on the show?
As Jonathan, I'm very excited. Joss is a beautiful woman. As Henry, I'm not really interested. I didn't choose her myself, Cromwell shoved her to my court to resolve the relationship between England and the rest of Europe. It sounds harsh, but Henry never liked Anne of Cleves, he wasn't attracted to her. But that, too, is history.

Joss told me you were a good singer.
Me? You must be mistaken.

Seriously. She said you kept singing for yourself and that you had a good voice. Don't you want to sing a duet with her?
Me and Joss? (laughs) I don't think it's such a good idea. It would be like... I don't know. Have you ever seen Bob the Builder? He doesn't know what he's doing, but he's doing it. So singing with Joss is definitely a no, it would be more like rapping on my part. (rapping in Henry's voice)

Is there anyone you'd like to behead like Henry did?
Perhaps you for these questions? I'm kidding. But wait a second: who's so bad that I could say his name? There are many candidates, many world leaders whose heads we would be much better off without. But I'd rather not say anything, they could take it too seriously and behead me. It would be a shame, my head is still in a good shape.

Qui c'è l'intervista in lingua originale : iDNES.cz

P.s sullo stesso sito c'è un'intervista a Joss Stone, che parla a lungo di Jonny. Nougatte ha promesso di tradurre anche quella.

Janis_rm
view post Posted on 11/1/2011, 22:13

Come promesso, Nougatte ha tradotto anche l'intervista a Joss Stone, fatta nello stesso giorno di quella di Jonathan :

Joss Stone: "When I'm done shooting The Tudors, I'll start my own bakery

Joss Stone is known mainly as a talented singer all around the world, so being offered a part in The Tudors was shocking for her. Especially when she learned that she was going to play the "ugly German". "My character doesn't like music, but I'll always be more a singer than an actress," says Joss in an exclusive interview for MF DNES, whose reporters had the opportunity to visit the shooting sets of the historical project.

When have you learned that The Tudors wanted you?
I was on the tour. Personally I was very excited, but my manager ruined it for me, he was a bit of a bastard, you know. (laughs) I was really sad, I already saw myself in the beautiful dressess playing an aristocrat. So I called them back and told them that I was willing to play anybody if there was any other chance in the future. And they called me a year later telling me that I was going to play the queen. I jumped with joy, it was a dream come true. But after a week of immense happiness I reminded myself to find out what role they were talking about. And I saw that it's Anne of Cleves, the most ugly woman ever being on the show. And German!

You have something against Germans?
Not at all, I was just scared of speaking with German accent. So, I apologize to all Germans, I did everything I could to master the accent, but I think they laught at me anyway.

How did you cope with not playing the king's favorite?
Let me correct you. Not only Anne wasn't Henry's favorite, he even said she was disgusting and repulsive. But you know historians, they add stuff and exaggerate, so maybe it wasn't that bad. Anyway Jonathan's effort to make me not take it too seriously was touching. He kept telling me: Honey, Anne wasn't ugly, it's just that Henry was crazy. Jonathan is a sweetheart.

I can't not ask now: did you enjoy the love scenes with Jonathan?
Enjoying sex with a syphilitic with a rotting leg? Are you crazy? (laughs) Jonathan's mask was very convincing, there's nothing to envy at all.

I don't think the female fans would believe you. Jonathan is one of the most attractive men in Hollywood.
I know it's hard to believe but I really didn't enjoy it. You know, I find it weird to be in bed with somebody I don't know. Furthermore, as my colleague Annabelle Wallis says: usually you wear no make up in bed, so you don't even look very good. And when the most attractive man in Hollywood closely watches you and you look like a gorgon, it's a terrible feeling.

Will you sing on the show?
Absolutely not. My character doesn't have one musical bone in her body. Anne doesn't know music, doesn't understand it, doesn't like it. I don't understand it, by the way. But I wrote a song about The Tudors. What was it like... (tries to remember words, sings a few tones). Sorry, I can't remember. But Jonathan would play it for you, I think he recorded it. It was a short funny song about Henry and heads being cut off. By the way, do you know Jonathan is a musician? Quite good actually. And he sings really nice. He was in fact singing all the time we were shooting.

Won't you sing a duet with him?
That would be amazing, it's a great idea. It could be such fun! But I don't think he would want to, he's very shy.

Jonathan? He didn't seem shy to me at all.
Sure, he wouldn't tell you. But I say he is shy. Really. Sometimes I'm making fun of him and say, come on, let's jam together. And he just whispers: Please, no.

Was there any chemistry between you two?
At the end of the shooting, yes, surprisingly. But I think everyone has some sort of chemistry with him. He's got it in him.

Is there anyone who could get jealous of Jonathan?
Is that your way of asking me if I have a boyfriend, right?(laughs) You know, a couple of weeks ago I decided not to speak about my private life. No details. Until I get married, I mean. Once I get engaged, I'll definitely let you know. I couldn't handle it when people talked about who I was dating. Young people meet and break up, that's completely natural. But people just don't get it. When I was 18 and I broke up with my then boyfriend, a completely strange woman came to me and cried on my shoulder: "You were my most favorite couple. How could you break up?" Do you understand it? She was a complete stranger!
OK then. Does the creative inspiration come easier when you're in love, or when you miss someone?.....

Se vi interessa il resto dell'intervista lo trovate in lingua originale qui

1 replies since 11/1/2011, 21:23   43 views